Sunday, December 18, 2005
Checking out
Last night we went to the grocery store. We bought 4 hams - the largest they come is about 2 pounds, so we bought 2 for Christmas dinner, and we bought 2 for gifts for our helpers. We also bought 1 can of coke and 1 large bottle of disinfectant spray. Since we had fewer than 12 items, we got in the express lane to check out. After we had been in line several minutes, Steve realized that he didn't have enough cash on him, and this particular store charges a surcharge to use a credit card. So the kids and I got out of line and waited while he ran to an ATM. When he got back, we got back in line. Then Steve decided to take the older 2 to get a treat. So I continued in the line with Ben in the cart - until I was informed that carts are not allowed in the express lane (I don't know why). So I proceeded to unload 4 hams (in boxes), 1 can of coke, 1 large bottle of disinfectant, and 1 Ben. And I continued in line, rather laden down now. Then the cashier ran out of change so we all had to wait while she meandered off to get more (keep in mind all that I am still carrying - oh and Ben is now enjoying his freedom by getting in to everything because Mom's hands are too full to stop him). Finally the clerk returned and after many more minutes, it was my turn to check out. All went well at first; but unfortunately, the computer did not recognize the final ham. So the clerk called the supervisor - but the computer still could not recognize the ham. So they called for someone from the back to come up. And asked me to go ahead and pay for the first items so they could help the next person in line. Eventually the guy from the back came up to take away the offending ham and exchange it for one the computer could recognize. Apparently said ham was difficult to find because he was gone a LONG time... But at least Steve finally came back and could help me hold the bags of stuff and keep track of Ben while we waited. So to make a long story even longer, we finally were able to check out. I hope the hams taste REALLY good after all that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment