Thursday, July 27, 2006

BIG NEWS!

Well, Steve and I both had another language evaluation today. The scale is a 1-9 with 9 being an educated native speaker. We have to be at a 5 before being able to completely finish full-time language study. So that has been our goal for this year. Well, today I tested out at a 6, and Steve got a 5!!! We are absolutely thrilled.
Really, this doesn't change anything as far as our daily schedule goes. I had already cut back to 2 hours a day so I could spend more time being a mom and also to homeschool Mikayla. I will continue with that schedule. Steve will continue to "hit the books" full time when he is home, but now he has complete freedom to travel as needed for survey work in Bicol, training, and other necessary preparations for the start of our ministry amongst the Agta people. There is lots to do yet to prepare for the move to Bicol, and there is a lot we have left to learn about Tagalog and the Filipino culture while we are here in Lipa. So nothing has really changed, but anyone who has ever been through language study knows how good it feels to finally reach that elusive level 5. Thank you to all of you who have been praying for us and encouraging us through these past months, and don't stop now!
We leave after lunch to spend the weekend celebrating the fact that Mikayla completed her extensive summer reading program (more about that when we get back). And it seems like we have LOTS to celebrate today. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys! Sounds like you've all been working really hard.

Anonymous said...

I'm SO happy for you! It has sounded really tough and I'm so impressed at how quickly you've learned it all!!

Love you,
Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve and Jen,

Congratulations on the language study! Hope that this success encourages you for whatever is the next big challenge!

Love
Aileen Sansone

Kelley C said...

Thats awesome! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

YEA!!!!
so glad you have passed the test! I know how hard you have been working. maybe Maria can stop cracking the whip quite so hard haha. love to all, Janice