Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Another Accident

Well, Ben had a wipe out on his bike today. Apparently the training wheels let him down. Poor kid got pretty beat up. Could have been a lot worse though. Hopefully this will serve as a lesson to the kids (and our helper) about the importance of the use of bike helmets. There were several little cuts that could have probably used a stitch or two, but since they were all right together and going different directions seemed like stitches in one would just pull other ones wider. So we just cleaned it VERY well (that was fun!) and then put a big butterfly bandage (home-made) over the whole thing. It pulled all the cuts together nicely, and we are hopeful it will all heal well now. Please pray with us that it does not get infected!
He was so very brave for the whole thing; we were proud of him. We did bribe him with getting to watch cartoons (Go, Diego, Go!) while we worked on it.
So pathetic. Felt bad for him.
It kept oozing and bleeding so we put a cotton ball below it to absorb the drips. He is doing fine now, but I am guessing it will be sore tomorrow! Please pray with us that it does not get infected - a real danger here. Also, Steve and I take off on Saturday for a week of meetings on a nearby island. The kids will be staying with some friends/coworkers here in Lipa. Please remember all of us in prayer this next week. Pray that the kids do well with the separation, that our meetings are profitable, and that the family watching our kids (they have 2 kids of their own!) would not quickly regret the fact that they agreed to this. Please pray specifically that nothing develops with Ben's wound - especially while we are gone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben-you are a brave little boy! I bet falling off that bike really hurt, but I was glad to see the smile on your face again. Your daddy used to fall off his bike and hurt his knees and Uncle Dave rode his skateboard into the side of a wall! I'm praying for you!
Grandma Hagen

Benezettes said...

Sorry Benny, that looks like it hurts. You are such a brave little man! I love you buddy, keep on smiling. I wish I could give you kisses, just ask your mom to give them to you for me, okay. We can't wait till we can see you again. You, Zach, and Kayla are getting so big!
Hugs and Kisses,
Aunt Bethany, Uncle Andy, Gabby and Eli

Kelley C said...

Aw Ben...he's got that pitiful face down pat! We've enjoyed the last year of knowing you guys!

Jacob said...

Hey guys! We read pretty much daily. Bummer about the cut, but I bet he will have a pretty cool scar to brag about one day, haha!

MathenyFamily said...

Hey Ben! It looks like you are now ready for snowboarding! Come surf the snow with us this winter, it doesn't hurt as much when you wipe-out. We miss you guys!