Saturday, April 09, 2011

Passport to Purity

This past week, we took a couple days out of our normal routine and got away as a family for some important time. Mikayla and I worked together on the intensive course "Passport to Purity". We tackled some tough issues and had some great heart-to-hearts. We are so proud of the young lady that Mikayla is becoming and the way that she seeks to put God first in everything. While the boys aren't quite ready for this intensive, they had some good talks with their daddy about integrity and being a man of God.

When we got back, we got all dressed up in fancy clothes, and Steve and I took Mikayla out to eat at the fanciest restaurant in Bicol.

We had a wonderful time re-visiting the things that we had talked about during the week, and we gave her a purity ring that we bought to help her remember the stands she has taken. It was a wonderful week, and we can't wait to see what God will do in and through Mikayla in the years to come.

While we spent a lot of time with the intensive course, we did get some much-needed family down time on the beach too and LOVED it. We all worked together on this sand castle with island in front and moat around it.
And I leave you with this weird sight we saw recently on the side of the road. Just in case it will make you smile like it did us. :)

5 comments:

Thomas and Lisa said...

Looks like you had a great family time! I have put Passport to Purity on my wish list and may go through it with Alayna. We read and discussed some other materials with our 2 oldest including I Kissed Dating Goodbye and Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris.

P.S. Still have problems loading your blog. Usually have to refresh 2 times before the dark background comes up making the text readable.

Sarah said...

I'm all teary-eyed after reading this post. Two things: First of all, it was wonderful to see several pictures of beautiful you! Usually you're the one behind the camera, so this was a rare treat. :-) And secondly, one of the biggest reasons we were first drawn to your family was the way you and Steve parented your kids. Ours were just babies at the time and we were always on the lookout for families who we could learn from, and we knew that you guys were onto something good because we loved how Steve and you and your kids interacted with each other. This post shows yet another example of the special relationship your family has, and I'm so thankful we can keep up with your family this way and continue learning by watching (or reading) your example. :-) (Hope that wasn't too sappy...we love you guys!)

Anonymous said...

Steve & Jen,
I have to totally ditto Sarah's post-you are awesome parents and i wish I would have had you as examples when we were raising our kids! Sounds like a fun week-and what an eat way to end it with the special date!
Love,
MOM

Steph said...

So proud of you Mikayla! What an awesome commitment you've made. Miss you!

Noel said...

I loved this post!! It was sweet, and touching. :)