Thursday, May 19, 2011

This 'n That

Well, this past week, we have done a lot of hiking around to different villages all over the area. We have gone to visit & encourage our new Bogkalot tribal partners (their houses are almost done - keep praying!), and we have also been surveying good locations for some college-age American volunteers who are coming this summer to camp out in tribal villages and watch God work.

Now, anyone who knows me knows how I love to take pictures, but I am very careful about bringing my camera with me all the time for fear of them feeling like I work for National Geographic and only care about taking pics of them. So I very rarely bring a camera with me, but I recently got a phone that has a *decent* camera so now I can snap an occasional pic inconspicuously as we travel from place to place. The quality is not that great so you will have to bear with me, but hopefully you enjoy this little glimpse of life here.

In one village, we found this precious lady and her twin babies who are both very sick. This little girl is FOUR months old, but just not doing well at all; her cough sounds terrible, and she (and her brother) have sores covering their bodies (likely from malnutrition).


We offered to take them out with us to get a check up at the doctor. Here they are hiking out with the little ones.


Look at her eyes! Won't you join us in praying for these precious little ones? They got some antibiotics, cough expectorant, cream for their sores and vitamins. We also gave the mom some money to buy baby formula (she has been feeding them just regular powdered milk since her milk dried up).

The gorgeous scenery makes the exhausting hikes much easier to bear

Love this idyllic little village - looks like one of our volunteer teams will be camping here this summer!


A sweet old man

A typical house - notice the black crosses drawn on all the walls and door to protect the family from evil spirits.

Off we go again!

visiting with an old lady, seeing if they would be interested in studying the Bible if we put some volunteers in her village this summer


So does this little motorcycle and sidecar look pretty full already? Not even close! We put SEVEN adults, 2 kids & 2 babies on this little thing!!! Then proceeded to climb and descend some crazy steep mountain roads...we had to lean forward/backward to keep from flipping the thing the grade was so steep! VERY good for our prayer lives.

Ben asked us to get a pic with his new buddy. Gotta love that smile. :)

another cutey pie!

A sweet old grandma

What a great set-up for washing clothes! Just hope none of them float away downstream...

Trying to figure out where to step to avoid getting stuck in the mud.

We have ALL become pros at crossing log bridges! Thankfully, this one is not very high off the ground/river...

In every village, you can always count on Mikayla finding a baby to play with.

Ok, this takes us out of the village for a moment and into the hair salon. :) Mikayla's hair has been giving us a terrible time of late - going into dreadlocks all the time! We decided to try a significant trim - took off 3 inches! Is MUCH easier to work with now, and the ends are a lot healthier.

Sorry the quality is so poor on this one, but I thought you might enjoy seeing a pic of the native version of a "walker". 2 hoops of rattan vine, then dishcloths tied in for the baby to sit in. Not many of the Agta have these, it is more common for those who are more exposed to civilization, but I think it is so inventive.

Here is a shot of Steve visiting with a friend while waiting for our boat to leave.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this random conglomeration of shots from our past week. Tnx for your continued prayers, and pls say a special prayer right now for those precious twins who so desperately need it!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Enjoyed reading, looking a pictures, and will pray for the babies!

Noel said...

I really enjoyed the photos! I'll be praying for those sweet twins!

Kelley C said...

I can't get those twins off my mind! I hope they are getting better. Sweet babies.

Amanda Kay said...

adding you guys to the daily prayers. so thankful for families like yours and how willing you are to reach out to anyone in need. thanks for all you do for the furthering of HIS kingdom.

Sarah said...

Great pics Jen...even with a cell phone camera you take pics like a pro. :-) I had to laugh at Mikayla's hair...I remember when they stayed with us those weeks you had your surgery and all the work that it was to comb it out each night. And I am thinking about those precious babies...so glad that you guys were able and willing to help them out. Do you know how they are doing now?