One of the things our region is famous for is butanding (whale sharks). These amazing creatures are an odd mix between a whale and a shark - they eat only plankton like whales, but they breathe underwater with gills like a shark. When Steve swam with the whale sharks in 2008,
he swam with one that was 17 meters (about 55ft!) long. Google whale sharks for some amazing pics and info. ANYWAY, we finally got to go do this as a family, and we had a great time. Unfortunately, the numbers of whale sharks in our area is diminishing so we only actually saw one, and it was only a baby at about 6 meters long (about 20 ft), but we got to swim with it 5 times.
Pretty incredible.
Jumping off the moving boat was an adventure all in itself. In the adrenaline rush of the 1st entry (GO GO GO!!!), we had several incidents where both Ben and I (Jen) got landed on top of by other members of our party. Oops. We got better at the entry part after that.
Ok, I know this pic is blurry, but it actually felt a little blurry out there in the chaos of trying to find and follow the massive underwater creature.
This time he came so close!!! Was absolutely incredible. Don't worry, remember, even though they have "shark" in their name, they are NOT meat-eaters. :)
Most of the time we were paddling wildly, trying to keep up with it, and this was our view. The first time we swam with it, I just kept swimming and following - for quite some time - until it dived to where I couldn't see it anymore. When I came up, I realized that I was the only one who had followed it that far away, and I was way out in the ocean by myself. Oops. But so worth it - and the boat came and got me right away.
What a great day as a family!
So thankful that we were able to enjoy God's amazing creation and make some wonderful memories that we will cherish forever.


4 comments:
YAYYY!! I loved swimming with the whale sharks... so much fun! Especially that first time, when the man says, "GET IN THE WATER!" ...and no one wants to go in... but in our group, Savannah was in as soon as the man opened his mouth :) So grateful for that first brave soul to get in the water :)
Was a great day, had more fun with this one small one than with the big ones last time since my kids were with. (sorry Udo, had fun with you too.) Just a small correction. Biggest one last time was 14meters. Largest whale sharks on record are about 15.
Sounds like fun! And I looooove the family picture at the end! You guys are all so beautiful! :-)
Great family photo! Too bad its not your kids in it because there is NO WAY they are that old.
Post a Comment