Sunday, April 02, 2006

Waves of Jealousy

Some of you may not know it, but Zach used to have a paralyzing fear of animals. It was awful, but we have really worked through it with him, and he has been doing fine lately. But riding a horse was a big step, so I (Mom) was a little nervous for him. We had Mikayla and Ben both ride first to show him it was ok. By the time his turn came, as you can see, he was very excited.
Well, as the guy was leading the horse around (by the bridle), a branch fell from a nearby coconut tree and startled the horse. So it bucked Zach off!!! He came down on the side of the saddle first, scraped his back on it, then landed on the ground. Poor little guy was pretty shook up, but handled it bravely. We did not have him get back on that horse since it was still pretty spooked, but we are hopefuly that he will not be fearful the next time.
In addition to the scratch on his back, Zach kept complaining that his wrist was bothering him. Since there was no significant swelling and he was still able to move it around, we figured it was just a sprain. But after 9 days had passed, and he was still complaining about it and favoring it slightly, we decided we better take him in. So we had it x-rayed today, and, sure enough, it has a slight fracture! The doctor said it is well-aligned and already starting to heal but it is safer to have a cast on it because it is prone to completely breaking right now if he falls on it. Also, it will heal faster with a cast. So... Zach now has a bright blue cast on his right arm!
We've talked it up big about how cool it is, and now waves of jealousy are washing over his siblings (particularly Ben!) because they want one too. :) As excited as he is now, I am guessing that he will be VERY ready to have it off when the time comes, especially in this heat. And I don't think it has dawned on him yet that he can't swim with it on... The doctor thinks that he should be able to get it off in about 3 weeks. Thanks for praying for quick and complete healing!

6 comments:

Kelley C said...

Zach I love the cast! Can I sign it??

The Hagens said...

Zach said that you could - until I explained how far away you live. Then he said that you will have to come here to sign it then. It's settled then! :)

Benezettes said...

Poor guy, that is a pretty cool cast though! It looks like you had a blast at WOL . . . wish we could have been there too. give hugs and kisses to your gang from mine =+). We miss you and love the pics, keep them coming!!

Anonymous said...

Zach-you look like such a brave boy and I never had a pretty cast like that one. I hope it doesn't hurt too much and I hope you let Mikayla play nurse if you can't do anything. I sure liked the fishing pictures! Love to all from Grandma Hagen

Anonymous said...

Zach, you sure are a cutie with your blue cast! I love you and hope your arm doesn't hurt!
Aunt Chris

MathenyFamily said...

Zach,
We are so proud of you. What a brave guy you are! Caroline broke her arm last year and had a pink cast. They think your blue cast is cool. We hope you all are doing well. Give your family a big hug for us!