I woke up early this morning to get a head start on finishing my mini-thesis on Discipleship in the New Testament. Zach comes in and gives me a hug then leans up against me, just watching the computer screen. I can tell he is thinking, but I had no idea what about. Finally out pops the inevitable question.
"So what exactly is it that is so important about that?" he asks pointing at the computer screen. (Just the day before I had apologized that I had been so busy for so many days, but that I had some important work to do and I would be done in a couple of days.)
I tried to explain. "Well, what I am writing about is how they taught people to obey Jesus back in the times of the Bible."
He boiled it down very nicely. "So what you are doing is rewriting the Bible onto the computer?"
I tried to explain that "in the Bible all we have is stories, it doesn't give us a list of exactly how they did things...", and the irony struck me hard, since one of the things in my paper is about the value of Biblical stories. I changed my explanation. "You know what Zach. The stories tell us better how to do it. I have to do this work, because it is a requirement for the class I am in. I'll be done soon."
Praise God, we did just finish. It ain't as good as the stories it came from, but it should pass the class.

No comments:
Post a Comment